Although selling and buying electric motorbikes is legal UK, you can’t ride them on public roads.
In the UK, electric scooters are classified as Personal Light Electric Vehicles (PLEVs), and their use on public roads and pavements is currently banned. The PLEV can only be used on private property only with the permission of the owner. This allows you to ride inside and outside of your home, however, not on government-owned land areas.
It is, therefore, essential to be aware of your local rules and legislation for electric scooters since they may differ from region to location. It is also essential to wear a protective helmet and adhere to the traffic laws and rules of the road to ensure your safety and that of other drivers.
Can I Ride the Electric Scooter on the Road?
Even if you think that you can safely use the Electric Scooter UK on the roads, however, the authorities of the UK may be thinking differently. E-scooters cannot be used freely on highways or within the UK, even on busy roads, as it is against the law.
If you attempt it, you may be facing legal issues!
Can I Ride the Electric Scooter on the Pavement?
Yes, but be cautious not to fall onto the road. If someone owns the pavement for private use, you may need to be able to obtain permission before using the scooter. However, generally speaking, it’s legal and safe within the UK to take a scooter to the pavement. So why not take advantage of the enjoyment?
Why Is Riding E-scooter on the Road Illegal in the UK?
Electric scooters and Hoverboards used on pavements and public roads within the United Kingdom are illegal because they’re considered Personal Light Electric Vehicles (PLEVs) and don’t fulfill the legal requirements to be used in public roadways. The requirements for this include adequate lighting, a bell or horn, and reflectors that are properly installed.
Additionally, electric scooters do not have the safety features necessary for use on the road, including mirrors, seat belts, and indicators, which could be a danger for the driver and the other motorists. There are also issues with the speed and maneuverability of electric scooters. This could make driving unsafe on roads with a lot of traffic.
How Can You Make Electric Scooter Riding Experience Fun Without Going on the Highway?
The inability to enjoy riding an electric scooter in a relaxed manner is a hassle. Therefore, here are some methods to make the electric scooter ride enjoyable without having to drive:
- Explore new routes: Take a scenic trip through nature trails, parks, or peaceful roads for residential areas to mix it with new experiences and take in the sights.
- Join in events for e-scooters. Find gatherings or community events for electric scooter riders in your region. These can be found online, and you can organize and run enjoyable events with your friends. These are great occasions to get to know fellow riders and enjoy the ride.
- Take on games. You can challenge yourself and your buddies to see who gets to a specific location the fastest or create an activity out of looking for certain landmarks on your route.
- Stop on the way. You can enjoy a picnic, take an ice-cold drink at a cafe in the area or stop at an attraction nearby. The breaks can make your journey more enjoyable and allow you to relax and recharge.
- Keep it secure: Always use a safety helmet, adhere to traffic rules and road laws, and travel at a reasonable speed. An enjoyable ride is also secure.
Don’t let the law prevent you from enjoying yourself. Get an electric scooter and Hoverboard at Segbo, and hop on it to explore the new terrains.
Recommended Article: Hoverboards for Kids